Mount Hermon recently was able to acquire a nearly 15 acre parcel of land near redwood camp, just off conference drive and bordered by the Felton Faire shopping center. We announced this to our alumni first in an earlier letter.
We have been working away on developing our plans for how to best utilize this property and are now at the point where we can share our plans publicly. We have been guided by a few key principles as work has progressed on the planning phase.
- We want to keep the property mostly open space and green. The “green” aesthetic will also extend to how we design and build any structures or facilities on the property.
- Enrich the lives of children and families – in a beautiful natural environment
- Mainly for recreation – for both overnight campers and day-use guests
- Bless the local community and extend our local impact
There will be three main “zones” to the property with distinct facilities, user groups, and activities.
Zone One will be closest to Redwood Camp. We are proposing the following in Zone One:
- A pedestrian overpass bridge to connect the new property to our existing Redwood Camp
- A 100×200 recreation field for games and activities
- A large bouldering wall alongside the field
- Space for target sports
- Various trails and nature spaces
Zone Two will be in the “middle” of the property and will have access to the facilities of both Zone One and Zone Three. Zone Two will be for a new community day camp. We are proposing the following for Zone Two:
- A new building in program, office and recreation space to support a robust summer day camp program and school year after school programs
- Outdoor recreation and activity spaces with a playground
- Access to all the amenities of zone 1 and zone 3
Zone Three will be closest to the shopping center and much of the hillside. Zone Three will be for both overnight and day use guests and will have the following:
- A community garden with 50+ garden plots
- A world-class bike park with downhill “flow” trails, pump tracks, and skills parks
- A 50-70 element aerial adventure park
- A splash zone water feature
- A dedicated building to support the above activities and provide retail and concession space
- Parking to support the facility
As you can see, this is a significant opportunity for Mount Hermon and will add to our already amazing programs and facilities. At this point we are involved in the county permitting process which will likely take 6-9 months. Please join us in prayer as we work through this process, and also for all the staff, families, and children that will be impacted through this amazing new facility.